Thursday, July 15, 2010

I write like Lovecraft, Shakespeare and Hemingway??

One of the blogs I am following mentioned an online writer's analysis tool that lets you paste in prose you have written and it comes back with an analysis comparing your writing to a famous author's.  So far, my various blogposts have come back as H.P. Lovecraft ("Lovecraft's guiding literary principle was what he termed "cosmicism" or "cosmic horror", the idea that life is incomprehensible to human minds and that the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity... Stephen King called Lovecraft "the twentieth century's greatest practitioner of the classic horror tale." - Wikipedia) - See my blogpost "Will New Spartacus ressurect old stereotypes?") and "Caesar's Fables and the Price of Fame".  I also got a couple of hits as William Shakespeare (See my review of "Ransom"  and my article "Mad, Bad and Dangerous Women of the Han") and even Ernest  Hemingway!  ("Why Sex  Rather Than Kissing Is Portrayed in Pompeiian Art").  A couple of my pieces were compared to Dan Brown (I wish they would earn me that much money even if I'm not a big fan of his "style")

Although the tool supposedly analyzes your choice of words and your "style", I would speculate that the result is more weighted by word choice.  I probably came up with more hits for Lovecraft , the horror writer, because I  often write about  archaeological  finds  and forensic evidence.  I'm not quite sure about the Shakespeare hits although  "Ransom" by David Malouf was a  more literary work and I quoted from some of it.  As for Hemingway, it could have been the subject matter!! 

Anyway, it's a fun exercise for those of us that do more than just a little casual writing for public consumption.  You can analyze your writing at:  http://iwl.me/

They also offer a newsletter you can subscribe to to get tips on improving your writing.

 On Writing Well, 30th Anniversary Edition: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction   Writing Tools: 50 Essential Strategies for Every Writer   Eating the Elephant, Five Tips For Tackling Your Next Big Writing Project   Writing Magic: Creating Stories that Fly   Writing Workshop: The Essential GuidePlot & Structure: (Techniques And Exercises For Crafting A Plot That Grips Readers From Start To Finish) (Write Great Fiction)

1 comment:

P. M. Doolan said...

A fun idea. Thanks