Sunday, April 17, 2005

The ancient world targeted by new authors

I am in Salt Lake City attending the first North American conference of the Historical Novel Society and am enjoying meeting new authors that are as fascinated by the Romans as we are. I've had the opportunity to talk with Jack Whyte who writes the Camulod Chronicles series (King Arthur in late Roman Britain)and yesterday met a new author who is writing a series of novels based on the lives of Roman gladiators, James Duffy. His first offering in his "Gladiators of the Empire" series is "Sands of the Arena" which I am anxious to read it when it is released in September. (Maybe by then I will have finally struggled to the end of "Eagle In the Snow!") I see that Mr. Duffy has an endorsement by John Maddox Roberts (author of the SPQR series) so it should be good.

At the banquet I also managed to snag a galley proof of a new novel, "Getorix: The Eagle and the Bull", by Judith Geary. I was also interested to note that the author has produced accompanying curriculum materials for use by educators. This is rare for a historical novel. I'm going to see if I can snag one of those today.

No comments: